Before we introduce how to clean a humidifier, You may also be interested in these common humidifier questions.
If you just want to know the specific steps of how to clean a humidifier, please go directly to Part 2.
Part 1 – Before understanding how to clean a humidifier, look at these common questions about humidifiers.
Q 1: What impact will the improper use of the humidifier have on human health?
A: The humidifier is misused, mainly because it is not cleaned and disinfected regularly, tap water is directly added to the humidifier, or the humidifier is operated for a long time.
If the humidifier is cleaned irregularly, the fungus and other microorganisms hid in the humidifier will enter the room with the water mist. The human body will inhale these microorganisms and cause respiratory diseases.
Do not add tap water to the humidifier because tap water contains various minerals, which will damage the humidifier’s evaporator.
The chlorine atoms and microorganisms in the tap water may be blown into the air with the water mist to cause air pollution and cause airway allergies or respiratory infections.
We suggest that pure water, distilled water should be added to the humidifier, or tap water should be boiled and cooled.
Q2: Can I use the humidifier for a long time at once?
A: The time we use the humidifier does not mean that the longer, the better. When the indoor humidity is too high, the amount of pineal hormone in the human body is also large.
The concentration of thyroid and adrenaline in the body is relatively low, and the human body will appear listless and malaise.
We suggest that the humidifier be stopped for a period of time after two hours of continuous operation and allow indoor air to circulate.
Q3: What is the appropriate indoor humidity? Is it different for different groups of people?
A: The best indoor humidity varies with temperature. In winter, the indoor temperature is maintained at 18 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius, and the relative humidity is 30% to 80% RH.
The temperature is controlled at 23 degrees Celsius to 28 degrees Celsius in summer, and the humidity is 30% to 60%RH.
For families with babies, the most suitable temperature is about 20 degrees Celsius, and the relative humidity is 50%~60%RH.
The human body will feel more comfortable living in this environment, and the public can equip a hygrometer at home to assist in monitoring.
Also, people suffering from joint diseases should be aware that the humid environment simulated by the humidifier may cause joint discomfort.
They recommend that they refer to the reference interval of indoor temperature and humidity values and control and adjust according to the high-temperature limit and the low humidity limit.
Q4: What is the necessity of cleaning the humidifier? How often should the humidifier be cleaned?
A: After a period of use, the humidifier’s water tank is where dirt and dirt are contained. If it is not cleaned in time, it is easy to breed bacteria. Dust in the air can also easily enter the water tank and quickly form a bacterial film.
If the water tank is not cleaned thoroughly, these bacteria will come into the air with the humidifier’s spray, causing secondary pollution.
Under normal circumstances, many people will directly add tap water to the humidifier. The tap water contains minerals. Over time, these minerals can block the humidifier and affect its function.
Cold mist humidifiers usually have a built-in filter device to filter out these minerals. Still, minerals cannot be completely filtered after all, especially when you forget to replace the filter regularly.
Therefore, when the humidifier is running, these minerals will also diffuse into the air, which is not particularly good for the lungs. Also, these minerals promote the growth of bacteria in the machine.
The humidifier should be thoroughly cleaned at least once a week. Of course, it is better to clean the humidifier once every three days. Besides, you need to replace it with new water every day (if possible, distilled water or demineralized water is recommended.).
Q5: How to clean a humidifier in the home to sterilize (Simple overview, detailed steps see Part 3)?
A: You can use a special humidifier cleaning fluid to clean or use a soft brush dipped in white vinegar to wipe and clean. Vinegar has a certain effect on sterilization and scale removal.
But after wiping, rinse with clean water several times to avoid a large amount of white vinegar remaining in the humidifier, as the aerosol is inhaled by the human body, irritating the respiratory tract.
Q6: Can I expose the humidifier to the sun and sterilize it with ultraviolet light?
A: Sun exposure can easily accelerate the aging of humidifier components. Moreover, ultraviolet disinfection can only target pathogens on the object’s surface and cannot disinfect places that are not exposed to ultraviolet rays.
Q7: In addition to humidifiers, what other methods can humidify the room?
A: There are many alternative methods, such as wiping the floor twice a day with a damp cloth, putting a few pots of water at home to evaporate naturally, drying wet clothes and towels indoors, or putting a few pots of green plants indoors. However, these methods also require scientific operations.
For example, the water used for natural evaporation should be changed once a day; the use of fragrances should be reduced during the washing process of wet clothes to prevent them from being emitted into the air to irritate the respiratory system.
At night, do not put too many green plants indoors to avoid Carbon dioxide released by plants accumulates indoors. In fact, if the humidifier can be used scientifically, the overall advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
The above are common questions about humidifiers.
Next, let’s talk about how to clean a humidifier.
Part 2 – How to Clean a Humidifier
How to Clean a Humidifier-1:
Scale cleaning in the sink of the humidifier base
1. Before cleaning the humidifier, turn off the power of the humidifier and unplug it. Before removing the water tank, you need to pour out the water stored in the water tank.
Otherwise, the water will easily flow into the humidifier and damage the parts.
2. After the humidifier is used for a period of time, the scale will form inside. Use a special humidifier descaling agent (or use white vinegar and water to mix it in a 1:1 ratio to make a cleaner, white vinegar is a natural cleaner).
Pour into the water storage tank of the humidifier base, soak for 15 minutes to fully dissolve the scale, and then use a soft brush (or use a discarded soft toothbrush to advocate environmental protection gently) to clean around the water storage tank and scrub the humidifier sink Internal scale.
3. Clean the water level sensor with a soft brush, and be sure to clean the scale. If it is not cleaned, it may cause blockage and affect the normal operation of the humidifier.
4. Pour out the descaling agent solution in the humidifier base sink and clean the sink with clean water. Do not let water splash into the air outlet. Pour out the clean water after cleaning.
How to Clean a Humidifier-2:
Cleaning the internal parts of the humidifier
1. Cleaning the pure-type humidifier is relatively simple, mainly to clean the humidifier’s inside and regularly replace the filter and evaporator. The operation is in place in one step.
2. Before replacing the filter and evaporator, you need to turn off the humidifier’s power and then unplug the socket.
3. For cleaning the ultrasonic humidifier, you need to pay attention to cleaning the water tank. The water needs to be replaced at least once a week. If the scale is not cleaned in time, the humidifier will be blocked. If it is serious, the humidifier will malfunction and cause losses.
4. When cleaning the water tank, if the size of the water inlet is large, you can reach for cleaning, use a soft cloth dampened with detergent or a detergent especially distributed by the manufacturer to clean up, after cleaning, block the water inlet by hand, Shake it lightly several times, pour out the water and the scale inside the water tank.
5. If the humidifier’s inside is dirty, it can be cleaned with a soft cloth. The whole machine cannot be put into water or rinsed with water, and it cannot be wiped with kerosene or alcohol to avoid damage to the parts.
6. Whether it is cleaning the inside of the water tank or wiping the outside of the humidifier, do not use a hard brush or other hard objects to scrub, but need to use a soft cloth or soft brush to clean.
Otherwise, it will cause damage to the body and cause the machine to fail to operate normally.
The above is how to clean a humidifier, we hope it will help you.
Part 3 – Precautions for using a humidifier
In addition to knowing how to clean a humidifier, we should also know some maintenance items for the humidifier.
1. For the first use, it should be placed at room temperature for half an hour before turning on the machine.
2. The operating environment temperature is 10-40 degrees.
3. Use clean water with a temperature lower than 40 degrees.
4. Keep away from other home appliances when the machine is working.
5. Do not add non-professional production lines or supervised disinfectants in the water.
6. Do not place the humidifier on hollow objects to avoid common frequency resonance noise.
7. Do not start the humidifier in an anhydrous state. The ultrasonic humidifier uses a transducer to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and oscillates the water directly into ultrafine particles ≤5 microns through an oscillating circuit that generates 1.7 million high-frequency oscillations per second.
And then diffuses water molecules to the surroundings through a wind-driven device in the air. The surface of the transducer is prone to scale when it is working.
If it is not regularly maintained and cleaned, the transducer load will increase when working, indicating that it cannot work normally.
It is recommended to use distilled water and purified water to extend the humidifier’s service life effectively.
8. Try not to add any additives to the humidifier water tank: this is harmful to the humidifier’s long-term use and harms human health. Safety and health are the most important thing.
Part 4 – Replace a New Humidifier
Under normal circumstances, a high-quality humidifier can be used for at least two years or even longer under the premise of normal maintenance.
If you think how to clean a humidifier is difficult or troublesome for you, you can also directly buy a new humidifier. The New Year of 2021 is coming. Buying a new humidifier to decorate your room also heralds the beginning of the new year, full of beautiful symbols.
HahaGet Team has selected several exquisite-looking and powerful humidifiers for you. If you need it, choose your favorite humidifier. It is good to use it yourself or give it to your family members and friends as a New Year gift.